One of the most frequently asked questions we get is, “Can you give me an estimate of how much a new air conditioner would cost over the phone?” Fair question. But unfortunately, the answer is NO.
To understand why we can’t answer the “ballpark estimate” question over the phone, one must understand the many variables affecting pricing. There may be more than you’d think!
- What’s the size of your home? The larger the house, the more cooling power you’ll need – approximately one ton of cooling for every 500 or 600 square feet. We’ll do what’s called a “load calculation,” which will take into account the climate, layout of your home, square footage, and the direction your home faces. Too much tonnage and your air conditioning system will turn on and off frequently, leading to wasted energy and higher electric bills. Too little capacity and your A/C system will strain under the load, struggling to cool your home and potentially shortening its lifespan.
- Do you have ductwork? Some older homes don’t have ductwork. If ductwork and vent installation are necessary, it can add to the cost of the project.
- Is the insulation good? We’ll calculate how much air your home may lose from poor insulation. Bad windows can be another air loss culprit, as well.
- Will it be complicated to remove the old system? It may be improperly wired or need additional attention. Sometimes, systems are just tough to access. In all these cases, there may be additional costs incurred.
- Do you want an extremely energy-efficient system? Or just one that will do the job? Both have their merits based on circumstances. Just so you know, the systems that are more energy efficient tend to qualify for more tax breaks and can have a significant impact on your monthly energy bills.
You see? We’d hate to tell you that your project will cost X dollars over the phone, only to come out and find that it’s going to cost X+Y+Z dollars! And THAT is why we cannot give you a ballpark estimate over the phone. We’re just looking out for you!
While we can’t give you even a ballpark estimate, according to HomeAdvisor, a typical range for air conditioner installation is between $3,814 and $7,494*. But it could be way less…and it could be way more! At Parker & Sons, we have a wide range of A/C system options to suit both your cooling needs and your budget.
Get Help from an AC Expert in Arizona
As always, our new system estimates are FREE, so if you live in the Phoenix or Tucson area and you’re curious, why not call us at (602) 273-7247 or schedule online? We can nerd out on HVAC terminology together! We’d love to come out and walk you through the process.