Tragically, carbon monoxide poisoning takes the life of thousands of individuals each and every year. Even more tragically, carbon monoxide poisoning is almost entirely preventable. Parker & Sons believes that education is the most important aspect of prevention. The more people know about carbon monoxide poisoning, the more they will be able to do to prevent it.
Carbon Monoxide (CO2) Dangers
Carbon monoxide poisoning is so dangerous because it is impossible to detect without the proper equipment. Carbon monoxide has no taste, no odor, and no color. You could be breathing it in and never even know it.
Carbon monoxide is produced by almost anything that uses a combustion engine. These things include everything from your car to your heater.
CO2 Poisoning Symptoms
This is another one of the problems associated with carbon monoxide poisoning, the symptoms closely resemble those of flu. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause nausea, dizziness, confusion, headaches, and chest pain.
The onset of carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can be very rapid. Often times victims may not know they are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning until it is too late.
CO2 Safety and Prevention
There are a number of steps that can be taken to help protect you against carbon monoxide poisoning.
First, every home should have carbon monoxide detectors. A carbon monoxide detector is the ONLY way to tell if there are high amounts of carbon monoxide in the air.
Additionally, your heating system, water heater, and any other appliance that burns gas or oil should receive regular maintenance to ensure they are functioning properly.
Proper ventilation is also important. Never run a car in a closed garage. If you feel you are experiencing the onset of carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside immediately, and contact a doctor.