Winterize a Vacant Home
Preparing your plumbing for the winter is a wise alternative to frozen pipes.
- Turn off the water to your home using the main shut-off valve or contacting the water company.
- Open all faucets, both indoors and outside, starting with the upstairs.
- After all water has dripped from the taps, drain the main shut-off valve by opening the plug. You may have to contact the water company.
- Turn off the power or gas to the water heater. Open the drain valve.
- Remove the clean out plugs on all sink traps or remove the traps. When empty, replace them and fill with plumbing antifreeze mixed with water following the directions for car in your climate.
- Add a full quart of antifreeze to tubs and showers since you cannot drain them. Do NOT use in a dishwasher or washing machine.
- If your home has a basement floor drain or a main house trap, fill each with undiluted antifreeze.