Practice Safe Holiday Decorating
Nothing gets people into the holiday spirit like putting up holiday decorations. While you’re setting up your holiday cheer, you’ll want to keep in mind some important safety practices. We’ve put together a list of tips to help keep you and your family safe during the holidays.
- Inspect lights before stringing them up. Check for frayed or cracked cords and broken sockets. Make sure to discard any that are damaged.
- Always replace burned out bulbs. Empty sockets can cause the string to overheat.
- Make sure outdoor lighting is rated for exterior use. Exterior lights are different from interior lights because they need to be weather-resistant. The same rule applies to outdoor extension cords.
- Never attach strings of lights with nails or staples. Wire insulation can become compromised and create a fire hazard. Always use UL-approved hangers for stringing lights.
- Do not leave lights on unattended. Always turn your lights off when you are going to bed or going away from home.
- Do not overload extension cords or outlets. If you’ve increased the number of holiday decorations and are not sure if your outlets can handle it, you may need to contact an electrician. Tripping your breaker and blowing a fuse are both good indicators you’re exceeding what you should run through a particular outlet.
- Never place cords in places where they can be compromised. Running them under rugs, doors, and through windows can cause a cord to become pinched and worn, creating an electrical hazard.
- Store lights safely after the holidays. When you’re ready to put away your lights for the season, prevent damage to cords and broken sockets by storing them safely. Wrap them loosely around a stiff piece of cardboard and cover them in paper or fabric to protect the bulbs. Store in a sturdy container and tuck away until next year!
Parker & Sons wishes you and yours a happy and safe holiday! We hope you can enjoy this season worry-free, but if you should have an electrical, heating or plumbing problem please give us a call 602-273-7247 .
We’ll be happy to help you out!