Energy efficiency means being aware of how your home uses its energy and the best way to use that energy while cutting down on everyday energy waste. Here are some top tips to help your home save energy and be more efficient.
How to be more energy efficient
- Change your lightbulbs to LEDs.
- If you can, use cold water when washing your clothes.
- Have a draft coming from your front/backdoor? Seal it! This can save you up to 10% in heating and cooling expenses.
- During warmer months, close blinds, shades, and drapes on the sunny side of your home to help keep your home’s temperature cooler and reduce your air conditioner’s workload. Open shades during cooler months to let the sun warm your home.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible in the summer and as low as possible in the winter. The smaller the difference between the indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall heating, and cooling bill will be.
- Using your ceiling fan will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4°F with no reduction in comfort.
- Don’t set your thermostat ridiculously low in an attempt to cool your home fast, this won’t work and will only cause your bill to increase rapidly.
- Install a programmable thermostat that will automatically adjust the temperature according to your schedule.
- Turn off the lights when they’re not in use. Lighting accounts for about 12% of a typical residential utility bill.
- If your home has single-pane windows, consider replacing them with more energy-efficient windows, or adding solar shades, or tinting film.
These tips will make your house the most efficient on theblock! But if you want to take your HVAC system to the next level in efficiency, Parker & Sons can help! Be sure to give us a call at (602) 273-7247 or schedule an appointment online for more information!