How to Deal with Mold and Mildew - Parker & Sons Skip to content

How to Deal with Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew are problematic fungus which can grow, hidden, in your home at any time. Mold and mildew can begin its life on almost any surface in the home. Worst of all, it can cause catastrophic damage. If your home is infested with mildew, you could face repairs of up to $50,000!! Although mold and mildew grow in similar environments and are both fungi, they are actually startlingly different.

Learning the Differences

Mildew is the milder form of fungus. It is typically identified by its white or grey appearance. Mildew only adheres to the surface of the location it is growing in which makes it easier to remove than mold. Mold is symptomatic of a much deeper infestation. It is usually black or green and often appears fuzzy or slimly. Mold is often much more difficult to remove than mildew.

The Dangers of Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew is not just unsightly, it can also lead to some major health concerns. Prolonged indoor exposure to mold has been like to repository tract issues including wheezing and coughing. It can also worse the symptoms of asthmas. Mold and Mildew can also cause a number of harsh allergic reactions. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has a list of over 50 molds which could potentially cause major health concerns. It seems clear, if you have mold or mildew, you are going to need to clean it up!

Cleaning Mold and Mildew

Because Mildew is a surface fungus, getting rid of it is a rather easy task. It should scrub off rather easily with the use of standard cleaning products. Clean mold is going to be trickier. Using bleach and warm water is a good way to start. Vinegar, borax solutions, and ammonia are also good cleaning agents. NEVER mix AMMONIA and BLEACH as it will produce lethal chlorine gas. You want to kill the mold, not yourself.

Scroll To Top