Getting Rid of Mold and Mildew - Parker & Sons Skip to content

Getting Rid of Mold and Mildew

Mold and Mildew are fungus which tend to grow in moist, warm areas of the home. They can grow on almost any surface, from the rim of the bathroom tub, to food, to a sheet of paper. Although mold and mildew grow in similar environments and are both fungi, they are actually startlingly different.

Learning the Differences

Mildew is the more mild form of fungus. It is typically identified by its white or grey appearance. Mildew only adheres to the surface of the location it is growing in which makes it easier to remove than mold. Mold is symptomatic of a much deeper infestation. It is usually black or green and often appears fuzzy or slimly. Mold is often much more difficult to remove than mildew.

The Dangers of Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew is not just unsightly, it can also lead to some major health concerns. Prolonged indoor exposure to mold has been like to repository tract issues including wheezing and coughing. It can also worse the symptoms of asthmas. Mold and Mildew can also cause a number of harsh allergic reactions. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has a list of over 50 molds which could potentially cause major health concerns. It seems clear, if you have mold or mildew, you are going to need to clean it up!

Cleaning Mold and Mildew

Because Mildew is a surface fungus, getting rid of it is a rather easy task. It should scrub off rather easily with the use of standard cleaning products. Clean mold is going to be trickier. Using bleach and warm water is a good way to start. Vinegar, borax solutions, and ammonia are also good cleaning agents. NEVER mix AMMONIA and BLEACH as it will produce lethal chlorine gas. You want to kill the mold, not yourself.

Scroll To Top