Electrical Safety in the Bathroom - Parker & Sons Skip to content

Electrical Safety in the Bathroom

It is a lesson we start learning at a very young age – electricity and water do not mix. Do you remember why that is true? Basically, water is a very very good conductor of electricity. That means that electricity flows through water with incredible easy. And it WANTS to flow into other things. Like your poor, vulnerable body. Electrocution can cause burns, nervous system damage, heart damage, brain damage, and death.

Clearly, it is something we want to avoid at all costs. When we think about avoiding electrocution, we need to think about where we would be most at-risk for electrocution. When we think about that, one location springs to mind – the bathroom – home to water and electrical appliances alike. So, what can we do to stay safe in the bathroom? Keep this tips in mind and make sure you teach them to your family as well.

  1. Make sure all your bathroom outlets have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). GFCI can sense a deadly power surge and will then cut power to the outlet. They are potentially lifesaving. Most new homes will automatically have GFCIs. If you live in an older home (25+ years old) you should double check.
  2. Inspect the wiring on all the appliances you use in the bathroom. Frayed wiring is EXTREMELLY dangerous. Simply inspect the wire from the plug to the base of the appliance. If you see the plastic covering worn down at all, you should consider replacing the appliance.
  3. Utilize bathroom mats and towels. This will minimize the amount of standing water on the bathroom floor. Not only is standing water a dangerous electrical hazard, it is also a major slipping hazard!
  4. Install pull strings or other handless apparatus on light fixtures. This will keep you from having to touch outlets with wet hands.

 

Scroll To Top