Dangers of Liquid Drain Cleaner (Part 1) - Parker & Sons Skip to content

Dangers of Liquid Drain Cleaner (Part 1)

Clogging your drain is inevitable and happens to everyone. And if you have long hair or hair that falls out frequently, your drain might be clogging on a regular basis. So what do you do? You might be reaching for that store bought liquid drain cleaner, right? After all, it’s relatively inexpensive, and it’s a quick fix to unclogging a drain. But before you reach for that bottle, consider some of the short and long term dangers of using these liquid drain cleaners.

Dangers to you and your health:

Liquid drain cleaner is extremely dangerous if it comes in contact with your skin, or if you incidentally ingest some. Because the cleaner is made of harsh, toxic chemicals, it will have an immediate, negative reaction on your skin. If you end up getting some on your skin, wash it off with soap and water immediately. Failing to do so can result in some pretty serious burns, which might be irreversible and need skin grafts. If by chance you ingest some, call poison control immediately and have someone drive you to the closest hospital. Ingesting liquid drain cleaner can damage your internal organs, or be fatal.

Also, depending on how deep and serious the clog is, liquid drainer can come back up and splash onto your face and in your eyes. This is most prevalent when you don’t know the severity of the clog. For instance, if a clog is relatively shallow, liquid drain cleaner can take care of the clog for the most part. However, if the clog is deep, you won’t be able to tell. When this is the case, the chemical reaction will most likely force the cleaner back up the drain, which could get onto your skin.

Dangers to your items:

Because of the harsh chemicals that make up liquid drain cleaner, they can also have the ability to damage things like paint, fiberglass, wood, and a variety of different fabrics.

Scroll To Top