Welcome back to our blog on how to create the perfect home maintenance calendar! We hope that you took note of the important things to be checking on a monthly basis, and what our preferred method of organizing this calendar is. So, let’s jump right back in!
Quarterly (3 times per year- every 4 months)
- Water softener- Every 4 months, you should be checking the status of your water softener. Not only does this mean ensuring that it’s working, but also means adding any additional salt if necessary. Most softeners will have a light to alert you that the salt level is low.
- Smoke alarms and carbon dioxide detectors- Make sure that you go into every room with a smoke alarm or carbon dioxide detector and ensure that they are all working, and that the batteries are still going strong. While batteries only need to be replaced annually, the device needs to be checked regularly. All you need to do is press the “test” button.
Biannually (2 times a year)
- Clean the house- Be sure to give your house a deep clean at least twice a year. Not only will this help to declutter those items you have lying around with no use, but it will also remove and dust that builds up that had been neglected in the past.
- Check refrigerator coils- Believe it or not, dirty refrigerator coils can force your refrigerator to use more energy than necessary. Some refrigerator models can use up to 15% of your homes total energy, so keeping these clean can help year-round!
- Check your HVAC system- Right before summer and just before fall, check that your HVAC system is working properly. These are the times when systems tend to need repairs or replacements, so check them and schedule your HVAC needs with Parker and Sons to avoid a last-minute catastrophe! And as a side note- we are good at last minute fixes and replacements as well!