Avoid Plumbing Hazards this Holiday Season
The holidays are just around the corner! Holidays bring extra cooking and house guests, which put extra pressure on your plumbing system. We’ve come up with a list of tips to help you avoid a plumbing disaster this holiday season.
- Be very careful what you are putting down the drain. Run cold water 10-15 seconds before and after use to flush your garbage disposal.
- Cooking oils, fats, and grease congeal and clog your pipes. Wait for the oils to cool and dispose of them in the trash.
- Avoid putting items like carrots, celery, pasta, rice, turkey skin or bones, or coffee grounds down your disposal as they can cause a jam.
- Running your dishwasher while guests are showering can lead to a cold shower. Run your dishwasher at another time to avoid running out of hot water.
- Prepare your drains prior to your guests’ arrival by making sure they are free of hair, grease, and other debris.
- Keep a trash can in every bathroom to encourage your guests to dispose of items properly and avoid a clog.
You will also find an extra strain on your water heater. Have you had it checked in the last year? Schedule the annual maintenance on your water heater to ensure it can hold up to the added usage.
Parker & Sons offers a 60 Point Plumbing Inspection that not only includes water heater maintenance but ensures your entire plumbing system is up to the task. Give us a call and let us help you avoid plumbing disasters this holiday season!